Even if you don’t read Polish, check out this inspiring story in our new partner’s newspaper, GAZETA. The pictures and video will leave you in awe. More…
Modjeska Monteith Simkins; Polin, Warsaw’s Museum of the History of Polish Jews; 11 Must-See Modern Museums in Poland; Sir Andrzej Panufnik; Mariusz Trelinski directs two operas at New York’s Met; the Witcher 3; and the centrality of Eastern European studies.
Eric Bednarski’s documentary, Neon, traces the history of neon illumination in Warsaw; a Polish documentary about the 1944 Warsaw Uprising has been made entirely from colourised archival film footage; Bill Johnston wins the Transatlantyk Prize for 2014; the Jagiellonian University celebrates its 650th jubilee with a year-long celebration – and more.
2014 is the 600th anniversary of Polish-Turkey relations; Guernica Editions is seeking stories for an anthology centered on Poland and Polish Diaspora; Oxford University’s St. Antony’s College Programme on Modern Poland; an English version of a novel about Jan Karski’s life and times has been released.
Stefan Norblin’s life and art continue to fascinate; Ida dazzles, as does Life Feels Good. Wojtek the Soldier Bear gets his own Scottish tartan; Beth Holmgren’s book on Helena Modjeska is awarded; and Magda Romanska seems to be everywhere. Plus Katy Carr explores war and freedom through film and music workshops.
• Polish-German Relations
• Ice Warriors – Poland’s Adam Mickiewicz Institute publishes its first comic book
• Quo Vadis 2012 in Calgary, Canada
• Freedom Climbers author Bernadette McDonald in Montreal + Ottawa
• The Slavic Performing Arts Heritage Festival at Luzerne County Community College in Shamokin, PA – Writing Competition
• Bogusław Schaeffer honored in chocolate
• Helena Modjeska in chocolate and elsewhere
• A new element named for Copernicus
• Radioactive, a biography of Marie and Pierre Curie, a National Book Award finalist
• Jan Lisiecki, pianist extraordinaire
• Wojtek the Soldier Bear is now a film
• Poland’s Prime Minister named European of the Year